Tips for how to grow long hair: fast, healthy and thick
When you compare yourself to people with lush, long and thick hair you’ll start wondering how to grow long hair like them. However, growing long hair can seem like a lengthy battle. Especially as, on average, the hair on the scalp grows 6 inches per year. Nevertheless, we’re not all created equal as hair growth rates drastically vary among both men and women alike.
Growing long hair can be a case of finding the right products for your hair type. As well as reducing the use of hot tools on your hair, washing hair more often or not as often.
- Can everyone grow their hair long?
- What will make your hair grow longer?
- How to grow long hair fast at home?
- How to grow long hair for men?
- Can hair regrow on a bald area?
Can everyone grow their hair long?
For some people, long and thick hair is natural, it just happens for them. But for others, it can be a lifetime struggle with constant research into the best methods to grow long hair. Everyone can grow their hair, although to grow long hair greatly depends on your hair growth cycle.
Some people have difficulty growing their hair long because their anagen phase is short. Otherwise known as the active growth stage. This means people with long hair are the opposite, so they have a long active growth period.
Have you ever wondered why the hairs on your body don’t grow as long as the hair on your head?
This is because the hair on your body has an incredibly short anagen stage of only 30-45 days. Hence why the hairs on your arms, legs, eyebrows and eyelashes are so short.
What will make your hair grow longer?
Even though genetics play a big role in your hair growth, maintaining healthy hair is also an important part. Everyone’s hair is different, so for some people, one method works better than another. To summarise, it’s really about trial and error when it comes to finding the right product to grow long hair.
Here are our top 14 tips to grow your hair long:
- Get regular hair cuts: In truth, having your hair cut will help your hair grow long. It seems counterproductive, but trimming your hair gets rid of split-ends which cause further damage and hair loss. In fact, if split ends are left, the hairs then gradually continue to split all the way up the hair shaft to the root. Therefore, you won’t be able to grow long hair as you’ll be fighting a losing battle.
- Resist the urge to dye your hair: Bleaching and dyeing your hair causes severe damage to your hair. The chemicals within these products are harsh on the hair shaft and subsequently damage the hair cuticles. The damage caused by these chemicals causes brittle hair which easily snaps off or gets split ends.
- Distribute your natural oils throughout the lengths of your hair: When you’re tired it can be tempting to just leave your hair messy and sort it out in the morning. To clarify, brushing your hair at night is important for hair growth. In brief, during the day natural oils build up on your scalp that are beneficial when brushed through the strands between washes. Brushing your hair with a boar bristle brush is an effective way to distribute these oils.
- Use natural hair products: Using natural products, hair oils (for example) are highly beneficial for nourishing the hair with essential proteins. They wrap the hairs in a protective layer that defends against UV rays and heat damage. And again, using a boar bristle brush after applying these oils helps penetrate all the hair strands with the beneficial properties.
- Eat a balanced diet: Consuming the right foods also plays a huge role in the health of your hair. A healthy diet that’s high in protein, like fish, beans, nuts and whole grains are all very beneficial for hair growth.
- Consume sufficient vitamins: Vitamins and minerals are known for promoting hair growth. Specifically Vitamin D and Biotin. In summary, taking vitamin supplements alongside a healthy diet can help you to support your hair health.
- Don’t overwash your hair: Overwashing your hair strips the hairs of the essential oils that it needs. When you shampoo your hair you remove the build-up of oil, dirt and dead skin cells. However, if you’re doing this on a daily basis you’re not allowing the oils to penetrate and nourish the hairs in between each wash.
- Wash your hair more often: Although we just said that overwashing your hair is bad – not washing your hair enough also stunts hair growth. Allowing oils, dead skin and product residue to build upon your scalp for too long will prevent your hairs from growing. Washing your hair 2-3 times per week is recommended.
- Condition your hair: Using a hydrating conditioner regularly helps to prevent damage. There are many types of conditioner such as conditioner after shampooing, hair masks, hair serums and hair oils. This hydration helps to repair the strands and smooth the hair follicles.
- Be careful when brushing your hair: Brushing your hair is more important than you may think. It doesn’t just detangle your hair, it also helps to distribute your natural oils throughout the strands. There are also good and bad times to brush your hair, for example, brushing wet hair can actually cause damage. Wet hair is more elasticated, so when you brush it in this state is stretches the hairs and subsequently creates breakage. The best way to brush your hair is by using a boar bristle brush on dry hair, both in the morning and night.
- Use hair growth treatments: There are medications and surgical procedures that grow hair including Minoxidil and hair transplants. These treatments can grow long hair where there was previously baldness.
- Avoid excessive heat styling: Using excessive heat on your hair causes damage which leads to frizz and hair loss. Try to minimise the frequency of hot tools on your hair, lower the temperate (if possible) and always use a heat protectant.
- Sleep on a silk pillowcase: Silk pillowcases are more gentle on the hair strands than cotton or polyester. Silk also helps to avoid tangles and breakage.
- Try scalp massages: Scalp massages help to grow long hair by stimulating the hair follicles. When they’re stimulated hair growth is boosted. You can try massaging your scalp in the shower while you’re applying conditioner. Alternatively, apply a mask to your hair, or you can massage your head when your hair is dry.
Does rice water grow hair?
In South-East Asia, rice water has been used as a hair treatment for centuries. And has been a much-kept secret for how to grow long hair. Rice water is the starchy water that’s left after washing the rice or after leaving it to soak. It’s thought that it makes hair smooth and shiny as well as grow long hair.
Rice water contains many of the vitamins and minerals found within the rice grains, including:
- Amino acids
- B vitamins
- Vitamin E
In China, women who live in a village called Huangluo are renowned for their hair length (which averages 6ft long!). In addition, the Yao women are also known for greying at a very late age. Both benefits they credit to bathing their hair in rice water.
Rice water is said to be an effective replacement for hair conditioner. To use rice water, simply wash the hair with shampoo as normal. Secondly pour rice water onto the hair and leave it on for 20 minutes. Lastly, rinse the hair thoroughly with warm water.
How to grow long hair fast at home?
There are many “at home” treatments that can be used to help your hair grow. Oil treatments are some of the best treatments to grow long hair.
They’re best used when left in the hair for a few hours or overnight to allow the benefits to absorb into the scalp and strands. Effective at-home treatments to grow long hair include:
- Oil treatments (olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, and more)
- Hair masks
- And rice water
How to make long hair thicker naturally
As well as lengthening your hair at home, you can also thicken the strands. Proper nutrition will help you achieve this by stimulating blood flow and therefore the growth of thicker and longer strands.
You can also thicken existing strands by apply natural treatments onto the hair. Eggs, avocado, aloe vera, are castor oil are some of the most beneficial products to make hair thicker naturally. These types of natural products are rich in fatty acids which penetrate the hair shaft, making it stronger.
Which oil is best for hair?
Choosing the right oil for your hair can be a case of trial and error to find what works best for your hair type. Choosing the right oil will nourish your roots, promote hair growth and thicken your hair. Find out what the best oils are for hair growth.
Which vitamin is best for hair?
One of the best ways how to grow long hair is to nourish the hair from within. This includes consuming the right foods, especially food rich in fatty acids, as part of a balanced diet. In addition to taking vitamin supplements to get a boost. There’s no single best vitamin that helps hair growth, but here you’ll get an overview of the most most common vitamins for hair growth.
Have you tried Dr. Balwi’s hair care products ?
Thanks to a unique combination of ingredients your hair receives the essential nutrients that nourish the roots and hair, and prevent their loss. Our shampoos and sprays are highly concentrated in aloe vera and biotin. In addition unlike ordinary hair care products, ours tackle the problem at the root. Because a stronger and vitalised scalp produces resistant and, of course, healthy hair!
How to grow long hair for men?
A man can grow long hair just as easily as a woman. And the same principles apply when it comes to hair care, specifically diet and conditioning the hair. Here are some basic tips for men on how to grow long hair:
- Don’t overwash your hair. Wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner 2-3 times per week to remove the build-up of oils, dead skin cells and product residue.
- Don’t brush wet hair. Only brush your hair with a boar bristle brush when it’s dry and be gentle with it so that you don’t create breakage.
- Don’t dye or bleach your hair as this damages your hair cuticles and leads to hair breakage. When there’s excess damage to the hair it will be difficult to grow your hair long.
- Try to reduce how often you wear hats as it can make your scalp too hot. Which can lead to an overproduction of oils which stops the hair from growing as fast because the follicles become clogged.
- Massage your scalp. Massages stimulate blood flow which encourages hair growth.
Can hair regrow on a bald area?
If you’re experiencing baldness or bald patches you may be wondering how to grow back hair from these bald spots. Hair can grow back on bald patches with treatment, such as topical creams like Minoxidil, or with a hair transplant. With hair transplants, hair follicles are placed in the areas of baldness to regrow long hair in those bald patches.
Topical treatments and hair transplants start to work immediately. Although for the first few months, you may not see any sudden results.
It takes approximately 12months before you see the final results of a hair transplant. However, you’ll see the hair growing more and more within the first few months after treatment.
A hair transplant is the only long-term solution to hair loss. And it’s also a one-time procedure. Compared to topical creams that you need to apply daily in order to continue to see the results. So if you’re looking for a one-off solution for how to grow long hair from baldness, a hair transplant is the best solution.
If you’re suffering from alopecia, in any of its forms, you’ll likely to be searching online for how to grow long hair. You can grow long hair from bald patches with topical treatments and a hair transplant.
However, a hair transplant is the only long-term solution to permanently grow long hair back. Because topical treatments need to be applied on a daily basis to continue to see results.