Everything You Need to Know About Hair Serum
Do you want your hair to look more shiny and sleek? Is your hair thinning and you want to give it a boost? Natural hair serum is a great way to give your hair the nutrients and properties that it needs to look its best.
It’s an excellent product that helps prevent hair loss, strengthen your locks, and promote beautiful, healthy hair.
- What does hair serum do?
- What are the benefits and disadvantages of hair serum?
- What’s the difference between hair oil and serum?
- Does serum make hair grow?
- Why is serum used on hair?
- How to choose the right hair serum?
What does this product do?
Hair serum is an impressive styling product that coats the hair strands and nourishes the layers of the hair with a nutrient-rich solution. It’s a wonderful smoothing treatment with many different uses such as reducing frizz, adding shine, and protecting the hair from damage.
What are the benefits and disadvantages of hair serum?
Now that you know what it does, you may be wondering if it really is good? And what are the benefits and disadvantages of using it as a styling treatment?
Here’s a list of benefits to using a serum as part of your hair care routine:
- Controls frizz: When you’re dealing with frizz, it’s never a fun ordeal. Using hair serum is a great solution that helps nourish and calm frizzy hair.
- Smooths hair: When you use serum through your hair it smooths it down and improves the appearance. Thus resulting in sleek and silky strands.
- Adds shine: Smooth hair typically lends itself to a shiny, glossy-looking finish. But often serums contain light-reflecting qualities as well, contributing to the shine effect.
- Nourishes and hydrates dry hair: When your hair is dry, it tends to look dull, lifeless, and become tangled more easily. Quality hair serum can provide a silky finish, luscious shine, and leave your hair touchable and soft without becoming greasy.
- Soften your hair: When your hair is damaged or dry, it can feel rough and tangly. For soft, touchable hair, use it to bring your strands back to life and make your hair more supple.
Here are some of the disadvantages of using a serum:
- If you over-apply, it can make your hair feel greasy and weighed down
- Applying too much serum to the scalp can cause inflammation
- Excessive, repetitive overuse of serum on your hair can clog the follicles and create build-up on the scalp
- Using over-processed, cuticle-clogging serum can contribute to hair loss
Many people wonder if this last point is true. Can serum cause hair loss?
The answer is YES. Some serums are over-processed and actually clog the hair follicles. If too much serum is used too often, it can lead to hair loss and scalp dryness. So it’s important to make sure you’re using the right products for your hair, and applying them correctly.
So, how do you use hair serum?
There are many people who have heard of its benefits, but they don’t know how to use it effectively. Questions like these are not uncommon for those who are unfamiliar with its usage:
- Can hair serum be applied to the scalp?
- When should I use serum on my hair?
- Should serum be applied to wet or dry hair?
To avoid product build-up and greasy hair, it’s important to use it on the lengths and ends of your hair rather than your scalp. Seeing as applying it to the scalp can cause inflammation and discomfort, particularly with overuse.
You should be using hair serum on damp, freshly washed hair for maximum benefits. Because it will begin to penetrate the hair and push the water from the strands. It will protect the hair strands from pollution and damage, also heat which is ideal for when blow-drying hair.
Using it on damp hair will yield the best results. Not wet, not dry, but damp. When your hair is in this state, it still has enough “wetness” to lock in moisture provided by the serum. Thus effectively coating the strands to prevent frizz and damage.
What’s the difference between hair oil and serum?
The difference between hair oil and serum is that serum acts as more of a styling product to add shine and reduce frizz. While hair oil is used as a one-off intensive hair treatment.
Is hair serum better than hair oil?
While one is not better than the other, they both have very different purposes. We explain this below:
- Provides shine
- Smooths hair
- Acts as a heat protectant
- Protects hair from pollution, sun/ UV damage, and heat
- Add a coating of nutrients
- Helps to detangle the hair
- Soothes and hydrates the hair strands
- Revitalises split ends
- Deep conditioning for dry hair
Even though serum and hair oil are very different treatments, they both still provide beautiful results for healthy-looking hair.
Does serum make hair grow?
With all the wonderful benefits that hair serum provides, many people wonder if serum can lengthen the hair and promote growth.
The answer is YES. The active ingredients and nutrients present in serums help to stimulate hair growth in the roots and scalp. They revive dormant hair follicles which encourages hair growth. This leads to thicker, faster-growing hair.
Why is serum used on hair?
Hair serum is used for its immense benefits and properties that all lead to healthier, frizz-free hair. By coating the strands, serum adds a protective layer to the hair, preventing breakage and damage.
It’s an excellent styling product that adds shine, reduces tangles, and enhances your natural hair to give you the look you desire.
Can it be applied every day?
Haircare experts do not recommend applying serums every day, as it can tend to weigh down the hair and cause it to become greasy. You should only apply it after washing, or when you feel your hair needs it. However, if your hair tends to get extra frizzy or tangled, you may use the serum more often.
How to choose the right hair serum?
While there are millions of options on the market today, the Dr. Balwi professional hair serum is an excellent and effective choice to prevent hair loss and support natural hair growth.
As hair experts, we know what we’re talking about. Dr. Balwi has developed this serum to help address your hair loss concerns. This product hasn’t been developed to just improve shine, it also was designed to help combat hair loss.
This biotin-rich serum is gluten free, paraben free and it’s not tested on animals. It’s a great option for all hair types, as it’s infused with a wide variety of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and other active ingredients to promote healthier and more beautiful hair.
Some of these ingredients include:
- Red ginseng
- Green tea extract
- Amino acids
- Ginkgo extract
If you’re looking to give your hair the boost it needs while smoothing down flyaways and frizz, Dr. Balwi’s Hair Serum is an excellent option.
Overall, does it work? Hair serum is an effective product that helps create shiny and healthy-looking hair during styling. The serum works by nourishing the strands with the biotin-rich solution to strengthen the hair strands and follicles.
This improves the condition of the hair and promotes hair growth to combat thinning hair. Compared to hair oil, a serum is suitable for regular use (typically applied to damp hair after each wash).
By applying the serum on damp hair, the moisture is locked into the hair strands which helps to nourish the hair follicles. By keeping the hair nourished and well moisturised healthy hair growth is promoted – thus combating hair loss.